Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Easy Summer Dinner


Food-wise it's a blessing that this time that I'm so busy happens to be summer, since most of my favorite things to eat in summer barely need anything done to them to be delicious. Last night Sky and I had a night off together (gasp!) and I wanted to make something beautiful and something scrumptious but honestly didn't want to spend hours in the kitchen. Enter heirloom tomatoes, burricotta, quinoa, fresh herbs and some other market finds.....

First: Heirloom tomato salad with Burricotta, Cucumber, Avocado and Market Greens

Slice cucumbers thinly, arrange on a plate with a few greens, slice any variety of heirloom tomatoes ( I used brandywines from a friend's garden and yellow cherry tomatoes from the farmers' market) , a few slices of avocado (the Reeds are in season and they're my favorite. This would be just as good without the avo but I had a little leftover in the fridge that needed eating), and a sensuous mound of burrata or burricotta cheese. (Burricotta is burrata and ricotta's love child). Pour your best olive oil on top and sprinkle with Maldon sea salt.


Next: Red Quinoa salad with Peas, Radish, Feta Cheese and Basil

Cook 1 c red quinoa in 2 c water and a little salt
Cook 1c or so organic frozen peas according to package directions
slice a couple of radishes very thin or use a mandoline
cube some feta cheese
tear some basil leaves into small pieces
juice a lemon for dressing

Allow quinoa to cool, then toss with sliced radishes, cooked peas, feta, and basil leaves
Dress with lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper
You're done
I also roasted some heirloom summer squash in a blend of cumin, turmeric, curry powder and salt (went VERY light on the seasoning as the blend is flavor-intense---just sprinkled a little over the squash): sliced it and roasted on a baking sheet with olive oil til nice and brown. Didn't get a picture of that but it was yum.

And that was it. Tonight I'm celebrating my birthday with my mom at a restaurant I've wanted to try for a year at least: I'll report back.

Honestly, in summer I think it's about heading to the market, seeing what's fresh and colorful, and throwing it together in whatever combos strike your fancy. It's hard to go wrong.



No comments:

Post a Comment