Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Frozen Grapefruit in a Bowl


I am a person who is usually cold, likes a duvet in August, and under normal circumstances can drink 5 cups of hot tea on a daily basis.

Pregnancy has changed all that. Now I'm the girl who sleeps with no covers and asks for a fan. I drink maybe one cup of tea a day and that's just because it's called Third Trimester Tea or Mother-to-Be tea. All I want is cold things. If I'm drinking them, I prefer them with bubbles---such a shame champagne isn't on the pregnancy diet and I've been way more into sipping Sky's beers than ever in my life--and if I'm eating them, the colder, icier, more refreshing the better. Not necessarily creamy----it's not ice cream I'm craving. More watery, light, slightly sweet--like how eating ice cubes made from Lake Michigan water way back when would taste.

On a most basic level I can satisfy the craving with an entire half of a watermelon or a bowl of frozen grapes. I'm starting to stock up on popsicles since I think I'll want those for labor, and let's face it, I want them now. But after an insanely delicious dinner at The Tasting Kitchen a few weeks ago, I've had grapefruit sorbet on the brain. Our meal there finished with that, and though I can't say mine is quite as amazing as theirs, it's really good. And I don't have to leave my couch to eat it. I spend a lot of time there (the couch not the Tasting Kitchen) these days. I got the proportions for this from David Lebowitz. He uses campari, which would be awesome, I just didn't happen to have any. Given that campari has a stronger taste than champagne, doubled the amount of booze, which is still teensy given the amount of sorbet you're making. You could omit the alcohol entirely and use more juice--of grapefruit or something else like orange. Also, I used the Oro Blanco grapefruits because they were sweetest at the market, but pink ones would make a beautifully-colored sorbet. I love this recipe because it isn't too sweet. It's like eating a grapefruit frozen and mashed with a little kick from something bubbly and pink. I might make a gallon next time.



Grapefruit Sorbet
adapted from David Lebowitz
makes about 1 1 /2 pints

Juice of 4 grapefruits (2 cups)
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c rose champagne

1. Warm 3/4 c grapefruit juice with the sugar, stirring just til sugar dissolves.
2. Remove from heat, add rest of juice and champagne.
3. Chill well (I always do overnight) and freeze according to ice cream maker's instructions.

No, mine is not in perfectly shaped sorbet balls, and yes, one day it will be.




1 comment:

  1. I'm not pregnant, but this is giving me some serious cravings now!

    ReplyDelete