Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Really?

I spotted this in the parking lot of a very fancy office building yesterday.

Really, people?
Unless there's an extra Hawaiian island in this parking garage I have to ask: has spelling (and grammar--don't get me started there) gotten so far away from us that this goes unnoticed? That or the sign painter seriously wanted a vacation.

I often wish I knew more tweet/text language, but then I see something like this and I am so happy that I still spell "everything" as "everything" and not "evrythng" if only to keep the real word alive in my brain. I don't think this was an error due to too much Twitter Speak, but it does remind me that spelling doesn't seem to be at the top of most people's list of subjects to master. One could always look it up online. Or don't, and trust that everyone is too busy on the smartphone to notice. And something about that makes me sad. Probably that part of me that cherishes the letters, the handwritten epistles I get in the mail, that deliberate sequencing of words and thoughts, from my sister and grandmother. That wishes I didn't want to race to the computer first thing in the morning to check my email. That really wants to break the habit of returning a text at a stoplight. I get nervous about the Kindle revolution and books maybe not existing. All that screen light can't be good for our eyes, right? Or should I suck it up and get one and discover that I like it? Not that this has much to do with spelling.

Maybe having a baby will take me back to a simpler time in myself. Maybe I'll be willing to check email only once or twice or OK THREE times a day. It doesn't need to be 15. I'm not the Secretary of State. What would happen in my mind if it wasn't so occupied with all these megabytes? Maybe I'd write that script I've had bouncing around for 5 years. Maybe I'd have an inspiration around storyline for a show a friend and I have talked about creating. Maybe I'd feel more spontaneous rather than tired and pinched in the face which too much time at the computer does to me.

How do you simplify, or tech-down, your life?


5 comments:

  1. Ahahaha. Melanie I loved that rant. Maybe the sign painter was trying to keep his line length short? The Virgo in me loves it when people stick to the standards. The Californian in me says, ah who cares, you knew what they meant right?

    I don't know that I have any great answers on how to tech-down. I fast once a year. No media at all for at least a week (and not just when I'm on vacation). Other than that I try to get outside as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thanks Desi. I fast too. and i love the no-media. always think I'll do that and then i don't. yes, outside with no music no phone no nothing. just OUTSIDE

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on the grammer thing..annoying!! I always run without my cell phone and try to leave it in one spot around the house so I "randomly" check it and don't look at it ALL the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lauren: I should lock it in my trunk when I'm on not-too-long car rides and just Zen out. But car rides are so perfect for catching up on calls! Oh the dilemma.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melanie--I hear thee loud and clear! As someone who teaches grammar, it's extremely frustrating to teach a grammar concept only to have students say, "but they didn't say it that way on TV!" (as if TV were gospel--ugh!) I could go on and on, but perhaps I'll save it for a time when I'm with you; that way we could go on and on together!

    ReplyDelete